Monday, October 17, 2016

Vicki Hellenas - October 14, 2016 - What will it take to change our lives to address climate change?


What will it take to change our lives to address climate change?


Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article108010967.html#storylink=cpy
Recent retirement has offered some unexpected benefits. There is time to really pay attention to important things that were previously in or out of my awareness with the flick of a radio switch on a long commute.

Climate change and our impact on it as a species had been a frequent topic on the stations I listened to. Interesting, alarming, but not something I felt I had much pressing engagement with because my energy and attention were too diverted. I was busy making a living and justifying a daily commute that had me on the road for over 40 hours a month.

Time spent in the car gave plenty of opportunity to resent the gray haze that hides the Sierra on most days, the parched trees and oleanders along Highway 99, and the visual impact of water restrictions. Now I find myself realizing that my busy lifestyle obscured insight and promoted denial of my contribution to the general mess we call air pollution and drought.

Today, I’m wondering, “what and where is our internal barometer of how uncomfortable it has to get for us before we are willing to make changes in the way we go about our lives?”

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article108010967.html#storylink=cpy

Vicki Hellenas, Fresno
 October 14, 2016
 http://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article108010967.html

No comments:

Post a Comment