Sunday, January 26, 2020

Rebecca Paterson - 1-26-2020 - Need to act now to help the oceans

Need to act now to help the oceans

The article that ran last month about ocean acidification, and how it is disproportionately affecting our own California coast, was deeply distressing to me. While I certainly don’t make my living from the ocean, my devotion to it extends far beyond my love of seafood. Even if I only put my feet into the Pacific three or four times per year, it’s always a homecoming. The idea that our ocean is sick and getting sicker because of human-caused climate change is unbearable.
We’ve looked to our precious ocean to absorb the consequences of our poor stewardship for long enough. As Osborne was quoted in the article, “There’s no question that the answer is to curb our emissions.” We must start that process by passing H.R. 763, the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act. This resolution is the real deal. Even at this late date, it offers a chance to set us on the path to a livable future, on land and in the water. Take care of your ocean by supporting this critical piece of legislation.

Rebecca Paterson, Three Rivers
January 26, 2020
 https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article239609873.html

Read more here: https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article239609873.html#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Post a Comment